Monday, November 11, 2013

Days 86-91

I apologize now for any spelling or grammar errors! I don't have autocorrect on the device I use to type my blogs and my English gets sloppier every day. 

On Wednesday, I woke up feeling good and in a great mood. Working out is the best feeling in the world and that Tae Bo class from the night before really boosted my mood and energy! It was also such a beautiful day so I did my laundry and hung it up outside while talking to Nicolasa. Then I walked to El Mercado Campesino to get some cheap buys for my party on the weekend. I love the deals on clothes but I always feel super out of place when I go to that Mercado. Even more than I normally do walking through Sucre. I'm finally getting used to the stares, the whistles, the flirting, and the honking but I don't think I'll ever feel like I completely blend in. Because I won't. I'll always be "the gringo". Some of my friends even call me their "gringita". (: Later that night, I headed to my second Tae Bo class. We had a different instructor but he's the guy in charge so he's who is normally leading the class. He REALLY pushes you. 

Thursday, I was physically tired from the Tae Bo classes but it was a weird, good feeling. School was normal, but walking back in the afternoon was AWFUL in the afternoon heat. Especially wearing jeans. After classes, I went home to relax before my Tae Bo class again.

On Friday, we had a small class because the more advanced German class had their test today so half of them were gone. The whole school day consisted of playing games on our phones, talking, watching movies, and eating food that people had brought. I wasn't gonna complain. Better than having to do school work! That night, I headed to the CBA (the place where my friends have English classes) and sat through the graduation of some of my friends. (Others still have more classes and years of English.) After that, everyone stood around talking and having mini salteñas from El Patio and then I went to one of my friend's houses until it was time to head home. My friend is teaching her 80 some year old grandma to play the piano. I'm so impressed!!

Saturday was a lot of fun. In the morning, I left for my Tae Bo class but once I got there I found out that it didn't start until later and that it was an additional cost for Saturdays. ): So instead I just walked around the plaza and some different stores for about an hour and a half. Back at home I relaxed for the afternoon until it was time to get ready for my party. The ladies in the salon curled my hair and did my nails and mamá did my makeup. Thankfully she didn't go overboard with the makeup!! (: At 9, papá and Nico took me to my friend's house where we had supper and hung out for her birthday. Then around 11:30, we went to a Quinceañera for a girl from my school! It was soooo cool! A Quinceañera is a big, birthday party celebrating turning 15 that is very common and traditional in Spanish speaking countries. Not everyone has a Quinceañera and all the people in my class are already older than 15 obviously so I was lucky to get to go to one! We got there later than it started so I didn't see everything but I did get to see Cecila (the birthday girl) dance with her parents and a boy from her class (the birthday girl usually dances with her parents, her siblings, and her boyfriend or a boy friend), the pictures, other dancing which I had fun taking part in, and the dance and ceremony type thing that took place before the dances with her parents. It was at a restaurant and her dress, the decorations, and everything in general was just absolutely gorgeous!!! 

I was out super late on Saturday so I didn't go to church with my grandparents on Sunday morning. Instead, when I woke up, I cleaned and relaxed until it was time to leave for lunch. We went to Cumaná (the place where I've eaten different cow parts) and afterwards to get some ice cream. Then around 5, I went to a youth event at my church where I met a TON of people and had fun playing games and doing different activities. It lasted almost 4 hours! I was exhausted upon returning home but now I have some more new friends to spend time with!

Today, Monday, is exactly 3 months that I've been in Bolivia. Time sure seems to be going by fast! School was normal and I spent the afternoon relaxing but around 4, my host family and I left to go visit my great grandma (grandma of papá). Today is her birthday and she is 87 I believe! We spent a few hours there (lots of other family showed up too) and enjoyed some cake and visiting. By the time my family and I left, it was already past 7 so I couldn't make it to my Tae Bo but I had really enjoyed the time with family and meeting my great grandma!

Camila, me, and Karla at CBA after their graduation (both are in my class)

My mom enjoying doing my makeup for the party

Mamá and me after I'm all ready to go to the party

My nails that one of the ladies from the salon did for the Quinceañera

Rafaela (in my class) and me at the Quinceañera (someone had given me the tie to wear... it wasn't supposed to be part of my outfit :P)

At one of my friends' houses celebrating her birthday but she happens to be taking the picture. All the girls in this picture except for one are in my class at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment