Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Days 8-10

On Monday, we didn't spend too much time talking to the director and afterwards I talked to all of the ladies in the salon until lunch. After lunch all of us went to watch Nico practice tennis and then mamá and I went to figure out how to extend my visa for the whole year. I also finally got my debit card back after a week (the ATM had taken the card, probably because I tried to take too much out at once). Later that night we went to buy my uniforms for school. Unless there's a special occasion, you only have to wear a uniform shirt with whatever else you want. There's three colors of shirts and there's short sleeve and long sleeve. I got one of each color, navy, tan, and white, all short sleeves. After we bought my uniforms I had my first volleyball practice! The girls my age had a game somewhere so I played with 13 and 14 year olds but it was still good to be playing volleyball again! My next practice is Friday and if I like playing with the girls my age I'll keep going to the same place. If not, we'll look for a different place. Tuesday was my first day of school at Juan Pestalozzi! I was SUPER nervous, but the secretary lady introduced me to everyone and they were all so welcoming! School lasts from 8:30 in the morning (it will be 8 in a few weeks) and goes until about 12:50. Then only on Tuesdays and Thursdays the upper grades go back from 2:30 to 5:30. My first class was music but we did NOTHING but talk and everyone was on their phone. After music was a 10 minute break. Then we had art and even though I don't normally like art I really liked what we were doing and the girl next to me, Karla, was really nice and let me borrow her supplies for the class. After art we had math. I think it's a mixture of algebra 2 and trigonometry right now. Next we had a 10 minute break before starting physics. All the teacher did in physics was hand back papers thank goodness. Then I went home for lunch and when I returned to school out first class was gym. I had so much fun in gym! We played basketball and the class lasted for an hour and a half. I think we play volleyball in September and the gym teacher said I was really good at basketball and wanted to know what other sports I've played. After gym we had history. I understood hardly anything but it was fun listening to the teacher talk! After school was over, I walked to mamá's shoe store to wait for her and when she got there we walked across the street where there was a bunch of vendors with indigenous handmade stuff. She bought me a really pretty purse that's the perfect size for all the stuff I need to put in it! Later that night Nico and I hung out until he had to go to bed. I enjoy finally having a little brother to tease. (: Today I really didn't want to go to school but I made myself get up anyways. Every day the schedule and classes are different so today my first class was philosophy. The teacher didn't write any notes on the board so I didn't understand anything and he gave us 8 questions for homework but he read them off for us to write down so I had to use one of my classmate's papers to get the right questions. After that we had a 10 minute break before chemistry. In chemistry, the teacher read off all of our notes for us to copy down except for some of the compounds and stuff. I hardly got any of it but I decided not to worry about it too much. After chemistry I had German but I don't have to take the class so the teacher told me I could do something else. My classmate let me use her notes again and I got all my chemistry notes written down. Now I just have to translate them and figure out what they mean!! Then we had another 10 minute break and finally we had literature. After school Nico and I walked home to have lunch (mamá and papá were at a meeting all day) and then we took a taxi to his tennis practice. When he was done we walked home again and hung out for awhile. Once mamá got home, I went down to the salon to read a magazine and improve my Spanish but one of the ladies working, Emma, took me across the street to get bread with her. While we were there I asked her what something on the shelf was and she bought one for me to try. It was a wafer kind of thing covered in chocolate and it was really good! Then I went back to the salon and finished my magazine until papá and Nico dropped mamá and I off at the bank on their way to another tennis practice for Nico. After the bank we went the the supermarket (the theater, bank, and supermarket are all in the same building) and after buying what we actually needed, mamá bought some chocolate with quinoa in it for us to share. It was amazing! Then we headed home and when Nico got home, him and I had supper together and watched a movie. Finally, we all headed down to La Plaza to get some school supplies. Now I'm just relaxing and watching tv until I head to bed! 
The purse that mamá bought for me

My school uniforms

No comments:

Post a Comment